24 May 2010

MMA

Since Kimbo Slice ended his UFC career, the MMA world is left with a giant Kimbo sized hole in its heart. Though Tapout has neither confirmed nor denied that they are looking to replace Mr. Slice, many new contenders are vying for the position. This promising contender is whispered to be on the short list:

Yep, that's right, MMA is getting pretty fierce.

Ok, so now you might be wondering, "Hey Stephe, WTF? You watch MMA? You don't seem like that kind of person." You're right. I'm not. But I've started working on some MMA inspired graphics.


piratecrest, originally uploaded by Stephen Halker.
So, in order to get the style right, I started reading about the players and watching the Youtube clips. I think the main thing that I learned is that MMA fighters are really tough. And their graphics for their shirts need to be really tough.... and sincere. Sincerely tough.
This was one of the first ones I did, but certainly not the last. I think i did this about a year ago. I didn't quite get the "sincerely tough" thing down, but it's a good first attempt. It took forever to ink everything. And then it took just as long to clean it all up to print. Can't complain though. It was a lot of fun to do some this ornate. I got to zone out and listen to books on tape.

No comments: